Retail Restructuring Outlook 2017
Kenneth A. Rosen – Lowenstein Sandler
Partner and Chair, Bankruptcy, Financial Reorganization & Creditors’ Rights
With more than 30 years of proven experience, Ken is the first call for companies seeking a strategic plan for recovery from financial distress.
Ken advises on the full spectrum of restructuring solutions, including Chapter 11 reorganizations, out-of-court workouts, financial restructurings, and litigation. He works closely with debtors, creditors’ committees, lenders, landlords, and others in such diverse industries as paper and printing, food, furniture, pharmaceuticals, health care, and real estate.
Paul Huygens – Province, Inc.
Mr. Huygens is a founding principal of Province and has 20 years of experience in consulting and management on a national basis, primarily involving out-of-court restructurings, complex chapter 11 cases, and distressed financial transactions. He is an effective leader who produces creative and pragmatic solutions to complicated issues, and is a recent award winner in the Service Provider category with M&A Advisor. Mr. Huygens has represented debtors, chapter 7 and 11 trustees, creditors and creditor committees in cases spanning a range of industries, including gaming, hospitality, construction, metals & mining, real estate, media, alternative energy, ecommerce and retail. His experience includes the origination and restructuring of debt, fraud investigation, expert testimony, prepackaged and traditional reorganization plans, forensic and reconstructive accounting, asset sales, debtor-in-possession and exit financing, crisis management, interim management and strategic alternative consulting.
Frank A. Merola – Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP
Partner, Financial Restructuring
Frank Merola is a partner in Stroock’s Financial Restructuring Group and has more than 25 years of experience in business reorganization and bankruptcy. Mr. Merola has advised debtors, creditors, acquirers and equity holders in both Chapter 11 and out-of-court restructurings across a range of industries. He also focuses his practice on the representation of ad hoc and official creditor committees and equity holders. Prior clients include Sirius Satellite Radio, Harbinger Capital Partners, Tennenbaum Capital Partners and Providence Equity Partners. Mr. Merola has developed a sub-specialty advising parties in casino resort restructurings and bankruptcies.
Prior to joining Stroock, Mr. Merola worked at Jefferies & Co., Inc. as managing director in the Recapitalization and Reorganization Group, and as an attorney at Stutman, Treister & Glatt, P.C., a Los Angeles-based boutique law firm.
Sunny Singh – Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
Partner, Financial Restructuring
Mr. Singh advises debtors, creditors, sponsors, investors, acquirers, lenders and other interested parties in all aspects of distressed and insolvency situations both in and out-of-court. Mr. Singh has extensive experience with prepackaged chapter 11 cases and asset sales under the Bankruptcy Code. Mr. Singh’s engagements have ranged across various industries, including airlines, banking, financial services, oil and gas and retail.
Chelsea R. Frankel – Reorg Research (Moderator)
Chelsea R. Frankel is a Reporter at Reorg Research. Prior to joining Reorg Research, she was a freelance technology writer focusing on startups and mobile applications. She has a B.A. in History from Bard College.
Introduction to the Program:
- What is on the horizon in 2017 for retail restructurings, and how will this wave compare to the last?
- What are the consequences of the 210 day lease assumption and rejection rule?
- What are modified approaches of landlords, and non-trade creditors and debtors?
- How does IP and brand valuation play into the picture?
- What is the cascading effect of retail restructurings on other industries and sectors?
Steering Clear From the Brink:
“Changing Leadership Styles to Accomplish a Turnaround”
Chairman, CRO, CITM
Strategic Management Partners
Inductee- Turnaround Management, Restructuring, Distressed Investing Industry Hall of Fame
Past Chairman of the Board – Turnaround Management Association.
Mr. Levy is a recognized corporate governance and financial reporting expert with over 30 years of progressive financial, accounting and business experience.
A National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD) Board Leadership Fellow.
Introduction to The Program:
- All Leaders Are Not Created Equally
- TEN STEPS TOWARD GROWTH – Management, Turnover, Communications, Planning, Compensation, Sales Growth, Customers, Market Analysis, Reporting, Expansion
- Creating a Mission Statement
- Establishing Compensation and Incentive Programs – Manager’s Bonus, Worker’s Incentives, Use Contracts When Possible
- Is New Business Waning? – How to Obtain New Business at Increasing Levels.
- Developing Accurate, Timely and Pertinent Financial and Management Reports
- Risks Associated with Purchase Sale Agreements
- How to Select Specialists – Be Cautious, Deliberate, Progressive